iHeartDogs is reader supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
A persistent cough in dogs can be a worrying sign for any pet parent. It’s essential to determine the cause and seek appropriate treatment. In this article, we delve into the realm of canine cough relief products that can provide temporary relief to your furry friend. We will review some of the top-rated products in the market, taking into consideration their efficacy, safety, and cost-effectiveness. We’ll also discuss when it’s necessary to seek veterinary care, as some coughs may indicate a serious underlying condition.
#1 – HomeoPet Cough, Natural Cough Treatment for Pets, 15 Milliliters
HomeoPet Cough is a natural cough treatment for pets, including dogs, cats, and other animals. Made from safe and gentle ingredients, this homeopathic medicine may provide temporary relief from coughing, sneezing, and dry nose commonly associated with kenneling or boarding. It can be easily administered directly into the pet’s mouth, in water, or with food, and is suitable for pets of all ages, including birds, rabbits, guinea pigs, and more. The product is well-tolerated with no known side effects and is created by a team dedicated to bringing high-quality, safe, natural, and affordable treatments to pet parents worldwide.
#2 – Kennel Cough Herbal Drops for Dogs & Cats – Cough Relief – Throat Soother – Homeopathic Respiratory Support – Dry, Wet Pet Cough and Cat Asthma, Sinus Congestion Treatment – Made in US – 2 Fl Oz
The Kennel Cough Herbal Drops for Dogs & Cats is a natural cough relief and throat soother product designed to provide respiratory support for pets. The blend of all-natural ingredients is formulated to soothe irritated throats and provide relief from coughing. Made in the USA and thoroughly vetted, this product promises to be a safe and effective alternative to chemical drugs for pets suffering from coughs, asthma, and sinus congestion.
#3 – Earth Animal Herbal Remedies Cough, Wheeze & Sneeze for Dogs & Cats, 2 fl oz
The Earth Animal Herbal Remedies Cough, Wheeze & Sneeze is a homeopathic remedy designed to support a healthy respiratory response in dogs and cats. It is formulated by Dr. Bob Goldstein and made in the USA with medicinal herbal extracts and high-quality ingredients. The product offers a natural alternative to pharmaceutical supplies and is easy to administer by dropping directly into the pet’s mouth or mixing into their water.
#4 – Fifth & Fido Dog Cough Suppressant, Kennel Cough Treatment for Dogs – Dogs Cough Syrup for Throat and Respiratory Support for Dry & Wet Cough with Marshmallow Root, Mullein Flower & Echinacea, 2 FL Oz
Fifth & Fido Dog Cough Suppressant is a kennel cough treatment for dogs that offers throat and respiratory support. It is made with natural ingredients such as marshmallow root, mullein flower, and echinacea. The product is designed to reduce symptoms of allergy and provide gentle relief for dogs with kennel cough. It is easy to serve and can be mixed with food or water. Additionally, it may also aid in relieving seasonal allergy symptoms in dogs.
#5 – Kennel Cough Treatment for Dogs & Cats – Made in USA – Dog Allergy & Cat Asthma Relief – Mullen Leaf & Elderberry Blend – Dry, Wet & Barky Cough Relief for Dogs & Cats – All Breeds & Sizes
The Kennel Cough Treatment for Dogs & Cats is a product made in the USA that aims to provide relief for pets suffering from kennel cough, allergies, and asthma. It is a blend of mullen leaf and elderberry that claims to provide relief for dry, wet, and barky coughs in both dogs and cats of all breeds and sizes. The product is also associated with Vetflix, which suggests that it may have been vet-approved or endorsed.
#6 – Pet Wellbeing Throat Gold for Dogs – Vet-Formulated – Soothes Throat Discomfort, Hoarseness, Leash Strain, Occasional Cough in Dogs – Natural Herbal Supplement 2 oz (59 ml)
Pet Wellbeing Throat Gold for Dogs is a veterinarian-formulated herbal supplement designed to soothe throat discomfort, hoarseness, leash strain, and occasional cough in dogs. It contains demulcent herbs like Slippery Elm and Mullein leaf that help settle pet cough and sore throat. Additionally, it supports the immune response in the upper respiratory tract and provides relief for hacking and throat irritation. The supplement is made in the USA with high-quality ingredients and comes with a money-back guarantee.
What Should I Look for When Purchasing a Cough Relief Product for My Dog? When Should I See a Vet?
When purchasing a cough relief product for your dog, there are several key factors you should consider:
- Safety and Effectiveness: Look for products that are veterinary-approved or recommended. They should have undergone tests for safety and efficacy, and ideally, have positive reviews from other pet parents.
- Natural Ingredients: While not always necessary, products with natural ingredients like honey or essential oils can be a healthier alternative to those with synthetic compounds. However, make sure these ingredients are safe for dogs as some natural substances can be harmful to them.
- Ease of Administration: Opt for a product that is easy to administer. Whether it’s in syrup, tablet, or other forms, ensure it is something that your dog can easily consume without much resistance.
- Specifics of the Cough: Certain products may be better suited to different types of coughs. For instance, some might be more effective for dry coughs, while others for wet coughs. Understanding the nature of your dog’s cough can help guide your selection.
Remember, while these products can provide temporary relief, they are not a cure. If your dog’s cough persists for more than a week, is accompanied by other symptoms like loss of appetite, lethargy, and difficulty breathing, or if the cough is severe, it is essential to seek veterinary care as soon as possible. These could be signs of a serious underlying condition such as kennel cough, heart disease, or a respiratory infection that requires professional treatment.
Frequently Asked Questions About Cough Relief Products for Dogs
- What are some common causes of coughing in dogs? Coughing in dogs can be caused by a variety of factors, including kennel cough, heart disease, respiratory infections, allergies, or even a foreign object lodged in the throat. It’s important to determine the cause to treat it effectively.
- Can I give my dog human cough medicine? No, you should never give your dog human cough medicine without consulting a vet. Some ingredients in human medicines can be harmful or even fatal to dogs.
- Are natural ingredients always safer in cough relief products for dogs? While natural ingredients can be a healthier alternative, not all are safe for dogs. For instance, certain essential oils and herbs can be toxic to dogs. Always consult a vet before introducing any new supplement or treatment.
- How can I administer the cough relief product if my dog resists? You could try mixing the product with their favorite food or a treat. However, if resistance continues, it might be best to consult with your vet for alternatives.
- How long does it take for cough relief products to work? This varies based on the severity and cause of the cough, as well as the specific product used. While some dogs may show improvement within a few hours, others might take a couple of days.
- Can I use a cough relief product as a substitute for vet care? No, these products only provide temporary relief and do not treat underlying conditions causing the cough. Persistent, severe, or accompanied by other symptoms cough should be checked by a vet.
- Are there any side effects of these cough relief products? While most are generally safe, potential side effects could include allergic reactions or gastrointestinal upset. If you notice any adverse reactions, discontinue use and consult your vet.
- How frequently can I give my dog a cough relief product? The frequency would depend on the specific product and the instructions given on its label. Never exceed the recommended dosage and consult your vet if you’re unsure.
- Can I use cough relief products for puppies? It depends on the product, some may not be suitable for puppies or young dogs. Always check the label and consult with your vet if you’re unsure.
- Can I use these products as a preventive measure? While they may help boost immunity or soothe minor throat irritations, they’re not designed to prevent cough. For prevention, maintain proper hygiene, timely vaccinations, and regular vet check-ups.
Conclusion: Best Cough Relief Products for Dogs
In conclusion, while there are numerous cough relief products for dogs available in the market, it’s essential to consider their effectiveness, safety, and ingredients before deciding. Each product has its unique qualities that may be more suitable for certain conditions and less for others. Remember, these products are intended for temporary relief and are not a substitute for professional veterinary diagnosis and treatment. Always consult with your vet if your dog’s cough persists or worsens, to ensure your pet receives the best possible care. Your furry friend’s health and well-being are always worth the extra diligence.