iHeartDogs is reader-supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
In the ever-evolving landscape of canine nutrition and health, natural supplements are gaining attention for their potential benefits. Among these, Astragalus—a root used for centuries in traditional Chinese medicine—has been recognized for its immune-boosting, anti-inflammatory, and adaptogenic properties. As a dog owner concerned about the well-being of your four-legged friend, you may be curious about incorporating this herb into your pet’s diet. This article aims to guide you through the best Astragalus supplements for dogs, offering insights into their benefits, safety, and much more.
#1 – iHeartDogs Extra Strength Urinary, Bladder, & Kidney Support for Dogs – Cranberry, D-Mannose & Echinacea Helps Frequent UTIs, Strengthens Weak & Incontinent Bladder
iHeartDogs Extra Strength Urinary, Bladder, & Kidney Support for Dogs is a natural supplement that aims to improve urinary system health in dogs. It incorporates cranberry extract, which is known to assist in reducing urinary tract infections, and D-mannose, which helps eliminate harmful bacteria from the body. Additionally, the product includes ingredients that boost the immune system, offering protection against bacteria and promoting overall well-being in dogs.
#2 – Nutrition Strength Kidney Support for Dogs – Renal, Bladder, and Urinary Tract Health Supplement, Plus Immune and Digestive Support, with Organic Cranberry and Astragalus, 120 Chewable Tablets
Nutrition Strength Kidney Support for Dogs is a dietary supplement designed to promote kidney and bladder health in dogs. The product contains organic cranberries which are known to improve urinary tract wellness and boost the immune system. Additionally, it can help with digestive issues such as gastritis and ulcers. This supplement is suitable for dogs of all ages, breeds, and sizes and is made in the USA with high-quality ingredients.
#3 – VetriScience Renal Essentials Kidney Supplement for Dogs – Kidney and Urinary Tract Support, Dog Kidney Supplement with Astragalus Root, Nettle and Herbs, UT Health
VetriScience Renal Essentials Kidney Supplement for Dogs is a veterinarian-formulated product designed to support kidney and urinary tract health in dogs. The supplement contains various herbs and nutrients such as Astragalus Root, Nettle, and Rehmannia, which are traditionally used to support kidney function and circulation. Additionally, it includes vitamins B1 and B2 to support metabolic activity and energy production. This product is made in the USA and is formulated by veterinarians at VetriScience Laboratories.
#4 – Cranberry Soft Chews for Dogs – Kidney, Bladder & Urinary Tract Wellness Supplement – with D Mannose & Organic Astragalus + Antioxidants – Immune System Support – Bacon Flavor – 80 Count
Zesty Paws Cranberry Soft Chews for Dogs is a supplement designed to promote kidney, bladder, and urinary tract health in pets. They are made with 200mg of cranberry and other ingredients to support urinary tract wellness. The chews also contain Marshmallow Root, Astragalus, D Mannose, and Nettle Root to support a healthy immune system and maintain normal kidney function. Zesty Paws is a trusted brand known for its high-quality ingredients.
#5 – Cranberry Chews for Dogs – UTI, Bladder, Kidney, & Urinary Tract Support – Dog Health Supplements Contain Cranberry Extract, Echinacea, Vitamin C, and Astragalus Root – 60 Soft Treats
Cranberry Chews for Dogs is a health supplement that supports the urinary tract, bladder, and kidney function in dogs. The product contains cranberry extract, echinacea, vitamin C, and astragalus root, which are known for their beneficial effects on the urinary system. These soft chews are designed to taste like a treat, making it easier for dogs to consume. The supplement is formulated by veterinarians and manufactured in the USA, ensuring high quality and safety standards.
What Are The Benefits of Astragalus for Dogs?
Astragalus root has been used for centuries in traditional Chinese medicine and is gaining popularity in the world of canine health for its potential benefits. Here are some of the key advantages of using Astragalus for dogs:
- Immune System Support: One of the most significant benefits of Astragalus is its ability to boost the immune system. It contains polysaccharides, flavonoids, and saponins that are known to enhance the body’s natural defenses.
- Anti-inflammatory Effects: The compounds in Astragalus have anti-inflammatory properties, which can be beneficial for dogs suffering from conditions like arthritis or other inflammatory diseases.
- Adaptogenic Properties: Astragalus is considered an adaptogen, meaning it helps the body adapt to various types of stress, both physical and emotional. This can be especially beneficial for older dogs or those with chronic illnesses.
- Antioxidant Properties: The herb also has strong antioxidant capabilities that help combat oxidative stress and may contribute to slowing down the aging process in cells.
- Cardiovascular Support: Some studies suggest that Astragalus may help improve heart function and reduce blood pressure, although more research is needed in this area specifically related to dogs.
- Kidney Health: Preliminary research indicates that Astragalus may have a protective effect on kidney function, which is particularly relevant for dogs with kidney issues.
Always consult your veterinarian before incorporating Astragalus or any new supplement into your dog’s healthcare routine to ensure it’s appropriate for your pet’s specific needs.
What Should I Consider When Buying an Astragalus Supplement for My Dog?
When considering an Astragalus supplement for your dog, several factors should be taken into account to ensure you’re choosing a high-quality and effective product:
- Quality and Purity: Look for supplements that are made from high-quality Astragalus root and contain no fillers, artificial colors, or preservatives. Certifications like Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) can offer an additional layer of assurance.
- Concentration of Active Compounds: Astragalus contains multiple active compounds like polysaccharides, flavonoids, and saponins. A high-quality supplement will specify the concentration of these compounds on the label.
- Veterinarian’s Approval: Before you add any supplement to your dog’s regimen, consult your veterinarian. They can provide dosage guidelines and ensure that the supplement won’t interfere with any medications your dog may be taking.
- Form of Supplement: Astragalus is available in various forms, including capsules, tinctures, and powders. Consider your dog’s preference and your own ease of administration when choosing.
- Brand Reputation: Stick to reputable brands that are well-reviewed by other pet owners and are transparent about their manufacturing processes and ingredient sourcing.
- Allergies and Sensitivities: Make sure to check the list of ingredients to ensure that the product doesn’t contain anything that your dog is allergic or sensitive to.
- Value for Money: While you shouldn’t skimp on quality, make sure you’re getting good value for the price. More expensive doesn’t always mean better, but extremely cheap supplements often cut corners in quality.
- Age and Health Condition: Consider your dog’s age and current health status. Some formulations may be more suitable for older dogs or those with specific health conditions.
- Potential Drug Interactions: Astragalus can interact with medications, including immunosuppressants and anticoagulants. Be sure to disclose all medications and supplements your dog is currently taking to your vet.
By paying attention to these factors, you’ll be more likely to choose an Astragalus supplement that is both safe and effective for your dog.
Frequently Asked Questions About Astragalus Supplements for Dogs
- What is Astragalus and why is it beneficial for dogs?
- Astragalus is a herb commonly used in traditional Chinese medicine and has been studied for its immune-boosting, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties. It’s considered beneficial for dogs as it can help strengthen the immune system, improve digestive health, and even support heart function.
- Is Astragalus safe for all breeds of dogs?
- Generally, Astragalus is considered safe for most breeds of dogs when used in appropriate doses. However, as each dog’s health condition varies, it’s essential to consult a veterinarian for proper dosage and to ensure it doesn’t interact with other medications your pet may be taking.
- How do I choose the right dosage of Astragalus for my dog?
- The correct dosage of Astragalus can depend on various factors including the dog’s weight, age, and current health status. Always consult a veterinarian for precise dosage recommendations and monitoring.
- Can I give Astragalus to my dog if he is already on other medications?
- Astragalus may interact with certain medications, particularly immunosuppressants and anticoagulants. Always consult your veterinarian before introducing a new supplement, especially if your dog is already on other medications.
- What are the side effects of giving Astragalus to dogs?
- Astragalus is generally considered safe, but some dogs may experience digestive upset like diarrhea or vomiting. If you notice any adverse reactions, consult your veterinarian immediately.
- Is Astragalus recommended for older dogs?
- Astragalus can be beneficial for older dogs as it has immune-boosting properties and may help with heart function. However, always consult your vet to ensure it’s appropriate for your senior dog, especially if they have existing health conditions.
- Can Astragalus help with my dog’s skin problems?
- Astragalus has anti-inflammatory properties, which could help with skin conditions like allergies or dermatitis. However, it’s essential to consult a veterinarian for a comprehensive diagnosis and treatment plan.
- Can I give my dog Astragalus daily?
- Whether Astragalus can be given daily depends on the recommendation of your veterinarian, who will take into account your dog’s specific health needs and the presence of other medications or supplements.
- Can Astragalus be given to pregnant or lactating dogs?
- There is limited information on the safety of giving Astragalus to pregnant or lactating dogs. Always consult your veterinarian before giving any new supplement to a pregnant or nursing dog.
- How should I store Astragalus supplements?
- Store your Astragalus supplements in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. Make sure the container is tightly sealed to maintain its efficacy.
Conclusion: Best Astragalus Supplements for Dogs
Navigating the world of dog supplements can be overwhelming, but knowing the value of what you’re giving your pet can make all the difference. Astragalus has shown promising potential in supporting immune function, reducing inflammation, and improving general well-being in dogs. As always, it’s crucial to consult your veterinarian before introducing new supplements into your dog’s regimen. Armed with the right knowledge and guidance, you can make an informed choice about using Astragalus to potentially enhance your dog’s health and quality of life.